Now that spring is finally in the air, it’s finally time to start getting ready for boat season. But before you take your boat out on the lake this summer, there are a few things you need to do, and taking that time can mean the difference between a great time and a tow. At Canvasworks in Cokato, MN, we look forward to boating season as much as you do, and we want our neighbors to have a safe and fun summer out on the beautiful lakes of Minnesota. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive checklist for getting your boat ready pre-season this year. To get quality marine products for your boat, give us a call.
Safety First: Check Your Safety Gear
As the saying goes, expect the best but prepare for the worst. Having the right safety equipment on board can mean the difference between a disaster and just another crazy summer story to tell.
- Make sure any enclosed areas on your boat have working carbon monoxide detectors. Be sure to check them regularly.
- Confirm that you have enough life jackets on board that are in good working condition and that there are enough for all of your passengers including any guests you may end up bringing aboard. Additionally, make sure they are the correct size for passengers’ body weights.
- Check your fire extinguishers to make sure they’re the right class for your vessel and are functional and fully charged.
Check the Boat’s Exterior
- Take a walk around your boat’s hull, checking for cracks, distortions, and blisters.
- Clean your hull using a cleaner that’s safe for your boat and environmentally friendly.
- Check your propellers for signs of damage including distortion, dings, cracks, and pitting.
- Check your bearings and make sure your propellers are well-secured.
Check the Engine, Fluids, and Electrical System
- Check coolant levels.
- Check power steering fluid, oil filter, and engine oil.
- Check the condition of cables, belts, and hoses, looking for signs of cracking or brittleness.
- Make sure belts fit tightly.
- Check all of your electrical connections to look for obvious signs of corrosion.
- Make sure your battery is holding a charge.
Before Each Launch
- Keep a spare phone charger on board, drinking water, and first aid equipment on board.
- Check your drain plug to make sure it’s secure.
Call Canvasworks for Quality Marine Products
After your boat is ready for summertime lake adventures, don’t forget to order your custom marine products from Canvasworks. We specialize in custom marine product manufacturing including Bimini tops, boat lift canopies, custom boat upholstery, and more. To check out our products, browse our online gallery to check out some of our beautiful Bimini tops and custom boat upholstery, then give us a call at 320-559-0165 or contact us online today.